Thursday, October 2, 2008

Instead of Theology

Yesterday I took my first Theology exam. The night before my friend Mike and I were supposed to be studying for this exam. We were about to begin studying but he came up with a smart way to really bug me. He wanted me to speak Creole or Kreyol. Its difficult sometimes to just say a phrase or sentence without the need to say it. So I told him that he could listen to me speaking on the phone with my cousins so he could hear me speak. After he listened to me we began studying but I was still thinking about what he had said. He said that he wanted to learn how to speak this language and I knew that I could not even begin to teach him even the basics without knowing how to write it. I know how to read fairly well in this language but writing would take me an eternity. My cousin actually sent me this on facebook a few months ago.


CREOLE - ENGLISH
* * * * * * * * * * *
Bonjou! - Good morning!

Bonswa! - Good afternoon!/Evening! (used after 11 AM)

Komon ou ye? - How are you?

N'ap boule!/M'ap boule (most common greeting and response) - Good!

Wi - Yes
yo - they, them
Non - No
Mèsi - Thanks
Anmwe! - Help!
Non, mesi - No, thanks
Souple - Please
Merite - You're welcome
Pa gen pwoblèm - No problem
Oke - OK
Eskize mwen - Excuse me
Mwen regrèt sa - I'm sorry
Gen... - There is/are...
Pa genyen! - There is/are not any!
Mwen pa genyen! - I don't have any!
Sekonsa! - That's right!
Piti piti - A little bit
Anpil - A lot
Gen anpil... - There are a lot of...
Isit - Here
La - There

Tout bagay anfòm? - Is everything OK?
Pa kounyè-a - Not now
Toupatou - Everywhere
Anyen - Nothing
Prèske - Almost
Atansyon! - Attention!/Watch out!
Prese prese! - Hurry!
Dife! - Fire!
Rete! - Stop!
Kounye-a - Now
Nou ap chache... - We are looking for...
Souple, ban mwen... - Please give me...
Separe sa ant nou - Divide this among you
Yè - Yesterday
Jodia - Today
Demen - Tomorrow
Maten an - This morning
Aprèmidi a - This afternoon
Aswè a - This evening
lendi - Monday
madi - Tuesday
mèkredi - Wednesday
jedi - Thursday
vandredi - Friday
samdi - Saturday
dimanche - Sunday

Mwen grangou - I'm hungry
Mwen swaf anpil - I'm very thirsty
Nou ta vle manje - We would like to eat
Konben/konbyen - How much?/How many?
Poukisa? - Why?
Kote? - Where?
Kisa? - What?
Kilè? - When? a kilè? - What time
Ki moun? - Who?
Kijan? - How?
Kilès? - Which?
èske gen...? - Is/Are there...?
èske ou gen...? - Do you have...?
èske ou ka ede nou, souple? - Can you help us please?
Kote nou ka achte...? - Where can we buy...?
èske ou ka di mwen...? - Can you tell me...?
montre - show
ban - give
Ki moun ki la? - Who is there?
Kisa ou vle? - What do you want?
Kisa ou ta vle? - What would you like?
Kisa ou ap fè la? - What are you doing there?
Kisa sa a ye? - What is that?
Sa k'genyen? - What's the matter?
Kisa pou nou fe? - What must we do?





The list above is condensed to a few short phrases. Since he was born and partially taught this language he has a much better understanding that I would ever have in the language. My mother and father can read and write in this language and they are fluent in French. Even though I can't do what they can I can understand and read it so I guess that is a pretty good thing for me.


A.P.

No comments: