Friday, October 24, 2008

Generation Haiti.

With every generation comes new and advanced ways of thinking. The generation of Haitians that I've been directly involved in has been no different. The advanced ways of thinking has not been drastic in my family. My mother values everything that my grandmother valued and what her mother value before her. The relationship we all have with each other is unique because the love we have for one another sometimes amazes me. We are connected by blood though at times it seems as though we are worlds apart.


My mother had a drastically different upbringing than I did because of the country she lived in and because of the financial situation. I feel as though her view of the world is old fashioned because of where and how she was raised. I have a unique connection to her because I understand this. I also have this connection to her because of the love I have for the country where all my family is from. I was lucky enough to have lived with my grandmother for all the years that I did. During my youngest years, she raised me and I got to know so much about my family's background. I could only speak Creole to her so that boosted my understanding of her. I also had a chance to know my great-grandmother fairly well and the connection that we all shared is something I hope that it is not unique to my culture because their hardships gave me a better understanding of myself and of them as women.

No comments: