Saturday, October 11, 2008

Discipline.



  • When people think of discipline people think of parents going to their local store, buying a whip, and flogging their children. I'm not going to tell you to beat your children or not but I am going to tell you my experiences with discipline.
  • When I was younger I wouldn't say that I was a misbehaved child but I am sure that I got my fair share of the warnings from my parents. They would give me the look or obligatory I don't want to have to punish you. At the time I didn't understand what they were trying to convey. I learned through my younger cousins how much this discipline helped to guide me.

Haitian customs are much different than some American customs that I've witnessed when it comes to discipline. Some kids are allowed to talk back to their parents or some kids even try and discipline their parents. I was raised to respect my elders no matter how much I think they are wrong. This teaching followed me to the classroom as well. Even though I'm in college, a certain level of respect should be given to all professors no matter what subject it is. Others apparently were not raised on the same principle I was. People act as though they were raised on the barn, hooting and hollering whenever they think its necessary while the professor is attempting to teach. I don't know if this can be contributed to poor home training or just adolescent rebellion, but we're all college students and to me this is where our maturity level should be growing not decreasing. I think that if the respect for your elders was enforced was when your in elementary school that it would hopefully carry on to college life. I guess those lectures my dad used to give me came in handy after all.

No comments: